Sunday, January 6, 2013

Winterize My Skin-Part 1

Pin It
This will be a series of how I care for my skin during the winter season. I initially started off thinking it will be one post, but quickly realized it will be way to long. So Part 1, will focus on my favorite exfoliators, cleansers, acne treatment, and face mask.

For my entire life, I have dealt with sensitive, dry, acne and eczema prone skin. Unfortunately, my eczema has only become worse with age to the point where steroids are warranted during periods of severe exacerbation. So I tend to be very hesitant about trying new skincare because there is no middle ground. My skin either reacts really well or in extreme protest that will literally last for months without relief! The winter months are particularly hard on my skin. The low pressure, and the dry cold air can be very difficult for my skin to adapt to. Although my tempermental skin has been a challenge, there are a few products that have been a life saver as we struggle through these winter months.

Exfoliators

Being meticulous about exfoliating my skin has been the key to controlling the flakiness of my dry skin. My two favorite exfoliators are St Ives' Blemish Control Green Tea Scrub, and Clinique's 7 Day Scrub Cream.


I absolutely love the St. Ives' Blemish Control Green Tea Scrub! I use it about 2-3 times a week in the shower. Not only is it an excellent exfoliator, it is also meant to clear up acne and help with redness. It is oil-free and contains salicylic acid, which is a gentle acne treatment ingredient. The exfoliating beads are large, but not too coarse or rough. To top it off, it smells amazing! I believe it has kept me skin fairly clear and soothe d some of the redness created by my eczema.  After using it to exfoliate my face, I take what is left in my hands and quickly exfoliate my hands as well. I always look forward to freshening up my skin in the shower with this scrub.




On days where I just need a gentle exfoliator, I use Clinique's 7 Day Scrub Cream. It's very creamy and the exfoliating beads are not as large, coarse or as abundant as the St Ive's. I use it when I feel like my skin needs a pick me up, but not a deep exfoliation. Hence, it is effective without being harsh on my skin. Clinque is also known for being hypoallergenic and 100% fragrance free so there is no overwhelming perfume scent. 




Cleansers/Acne
My current favorite cleanser is Clinique's Liquid Facial Soap Mild. It is made for dry combination skin and is extremely gentle. It is wonderful at removing my face as well as eye makeup without making my skin feel tight and dry afterwards. I tend to switch back and forth from this cleanser and Clinique's Acne Solutions Cleansing Foam. Particularly during that time of the month when my skin is more acne prone, I will use the acne solutions cleansing foam to ward off any breakouts. Similar to the liquid facial soap, the acne solution cleansing foam does not dry out my skin, is gentle and does help to control my acne. I wouldn't say it has kept my skin completely acne-free, but it definitely has kept my breakouts to a minimum. 






For those pesky cystic or persistent acne, Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion is my life-saver. I apply it directly to my acne and let it dry before I head to bed. This is literally a miracle lotion! I usually see a significant difference in the size and redness of the pimple when I wake up in the morning. I will also apply it when I feel the beginning of a pimple erupting which most of the time will take care of the pimple altogether. Not only is it good for acne treatment, but also to fade blemishes and dark spots. However, as the name indicates, it is very drying! So I use it sparingly in the winter.



Face Mask

In this category, there is no competition. I solely use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque. I use it about once a week and it is meant to dry up acne, eliminate blackheads, and shrink your pores. The mint gives my skin a nice cool and tingling sensation, which I love. I don't think I use it enough to see a difference in my acne or blackheads, but my skin definitely feels soft and smooth after using it. I don't use it too often because just using it once a week, I can tell it would really dry out my skin if I used it more frequently. Still, it is an awesome face mask!




These are a few products that have made a difference in my skin. Keep in mind, I am not a dermatologist and what works for me, may not work for you. I hope these recommendations give you a few things to think about trying that may help you like they've helped me. Stay tuned for Part 2, where I'll talk about products I use to keep my skin nice and moisturize.

~Hong

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment